Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Feelin' Pretty Accomplished, Really

After I posted yesterday, I dragged the wheel over and girded my loins for another session of spinning. I was not looking forward to it. It was a chore, like practicing my chords on the piano or starting a load of laundry. And I have to say, it didn't start out so great. I got mad quick.

But I kept going, and before too long, I found my rhythm. Both hands were working together, and the wheel was going around in the right direction. What I managed to produce is thick and thin, but not dreadfully so, and it's wormy in some spots and barely spun in others, but it's not cat barf, and at this point it's what's important to me. I'm feeling somewhat encouraged today. And the yarn is a nice white color so I can give dying a go when it's done. I have visions of Kool-Aid dying the singles all different colors and then plying them so that I get neat, twisted colors. How cool would they be for kids hats and mittens? Very, I'm thinking.

So I did my bit on the wheel, and then when I was done for the morning, I got out the Chinese-inspired baby sweater to give it a quick steam block before seaming. I got it all put together and yesterday afternoon I put the neckband and ties on it.

I love it. I think it's the cutest thing ever. I'd put this on a kid whether he or she was Chinese or not. This is a shot of it drying. Step one takes place on the towel. It sits on a towel until the towel is thoroughly damp, then I transfer it to the drying racks. Which sat on the table all last night, but have moved out to the porch where it is dry and breezy.

I wish I could describe more accurately how proud I am of this little sweater. It was listed as an advance pattern, and it truly was. Only I don't think of myself as an advanced knitter. I haven't even been knitting for two years yet! This involved doing stranded colorwork flat (hard, and tedious), working a lattice pattern while shaping (hard), and setting in sleeves (not terribly hard, but tricky when you're used to knitting patterns in the round.) I almost changed this pattern too, because you know I can't leave well enough alone. I was going to make a basic top down raglan pullover instead. I was going to work the fretted band pattern at the collar and cuffs, do the lattice on the top part and then do the colorwork in the round at the bottom along with the picot edge. It would have been easier and faster. But I loved the wrap-style sweater, and I'm glad I challenged myself with the harder pattern.

But after all the thought and work involved in the sweater and the spinning, I cleansed my palate and started a pair of slippers for Bug. Just like Bobo's but in dark red and pink. I finished the first one and wrote out the pattern so that I can copy it today. (Good thinking, huh?) Bug loved it and wore the one slipper around all morning. I'll do the second one today so that she can model them for you before the weekend.

Bobo stil hates hers and refuses to wear them. "NO. I don't wanna wear my slippers! I wanna wear my SHOES!" She's a joy.

That's all the news that's fit to print today.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know --
Annie's Attic is having a sale on Bolero Wool 3/5oz or 55yds for $7.99. I don't spin so I have no idea if this is a good bargain or not. I just thought I would inform you.

11:13 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

That sweater is so cute! Great job!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Lime Street said...

It's gorgeous! You should be very proud. Isn't that feeling you get when you finish a challenging project great? It makes me feel like I can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

12:29 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Poops, I could copy and paste your text about spinning into my blog right now. I alternate between wanting to give up and forging ahead on a daily basis.


That chinese inspired sweater is just too cute!!!

12:43 PM  
Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Ooh, I love it! Is it going in your etsy shop?

1:07 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Yay, you're doing it! You're spinning!

The baby sweater looks amazing. You know, I'd wear that thing. It would make a fabulous adult garment too.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

WOW! Almost makes me want to have another... (SMACK!!)

That was R layin' the smack down.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

I freaking love that sweater. I tell you what, I'd squirt if I were the mom receiving that.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

spinning's one of those things that it takes serious practice to get good at. If you want it to go easily and smoothly, you can spend hours pre-drafting all your fiber, and just use your time at the wheel to get the "drafting motions" stuff right.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

that is a pretty impressive little sweater. wow.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes