Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

So hot, they're cool!

I call these...Coffee Cozees! I got the idea from MagKnits "Java a GoGo" by Mariko Fujinaka. Only Mariko used fingering weight yarn for hers and well, I don't knit much with fingering weight yarn. Worsted, on the other hand, I have in spades. What to do, what to do? Make my own, of course!

So, I looked at a paper coffee cup and did a bit of math and knit up a prototype. And I got a slightly v-shaped tube that surrounds the scalding hot surface of a cup, protecting those sensitive fingertips from burns.

I did not add any handles or fingerloops to the Cozee, owing to the fact that if this is my first cup of coffee in the morning, I will be unable to negotiate the loops and will likely cause a third-degree crotch burn in the process of trying to pick up or put down the cup. No, a sheath works just fine for me. If you want to add loops, see the aforementioned link.

And before anyone asks...

Coffee Cozees
Protecting your precious knitting fingers from lava java!

Fits a 16 oz. (medium) coffee cup, but I suspect would fit on a small or a large fairly well too.

Odds and ends of worsted weight yarn and US size 5 dpns.
Gauge: 5 sts to the inch or so. Ish. Or there abouts.

CO 44 sts. Divide onto 3 needles and join in a round.

Knit 1 inch in pattern.

First decrease: (K9, k2tog) around. 40 sts.

Knit another inch in pattern.

Second decrease: (K8, k2tog) around. 36 sts.

Knit another inch in pattern.

Bind off and weave in ends.

*That makes a basic stockinette stitch sheath. It can be done with colorwork or patterns, just be sure to pick ones that make it easy to allow for the decreases. If you would like a shorter or longer Cozee, just add more rows between the decrease rows. These come out to about three inches high, but if you have big hands you may want a wider one. As long as the decreases are more or less evenly spaced it should still fit your cup of choice.

Enjoy!

4 Comments:

Blogger allisonmariecat said...

I'll just have to make sure to come here for all my beverage-cozy needs :) Thank you for the pattern!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Awesome! Thanks again for another cute and very useful pattern!!

12:51 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Very cool! I think I'll make myself one this weekend.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

My mom would love one of those... I'll have to see if I can crank one out!

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes