Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Meet the Fuggles!

What do you do when you're a fiber snob and you are generously gifted with a bag full of leftover odds and ends of eyelash yarn, fun fur and Lion Brand Homespun?

Well, LB Homespun makes great afghans, throws, and shawls. I know this. But there's not enough in there to make anything that size without piecing, and who wants to do that? Not me, I'm an in-the-round kind of knitter. The fewer seams, the better.

I suppose I could make some "throw-away" sweaters for the kids--the kind you don't mind if they eat spaghetti in. But I just can't bring myself to dress the kids in squeaky acrylic, having been subjected to "afghan yarn" clothing for years by my well-meaning and creative albeit frugal Grammy. Besides, if I'm going to take that kind of time to make a sweater, I'm going to make it out of something nice (and by nice I mean not acrylic) that can be handed down to my grandchildren someday.

And novelty yarn! What do you do with literally a few yards here and there of fun fur and eyelash? Besides throw it out with a shudder?

You make Fuggles!

Meet the Fuggle Family of Hats. These are the baby-sized ones. These took a few hours apiece to make, owing largely to the fact that it's bulky yarn and there are only 40 stitches around to knit! In stockinette, no less!

So these are the three prototypes in the smallest size. I think I'll make them up to todder sized, since anyone older than that would look fairly stupid in them, I'm thinking. But the homespun is nice and soft--if squeaky to work with--and the froo-froo-y-ness of the eyelash can be pulled off by those enormous heads on their ridiculously small bodies.

And I have a pantload of Homespun, so here's hoping that man-made yarn flies off the table at the Canterbury fair.

*fingers crossed*

3 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Hahhahaha! I think those are great. I made my Fluffy Piggy from unwanted eyelash yarn and ended up falling in love with it....as it appeared on the piggy! Great use of the yarn, yay!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

They are really cute! I wish you well at your fair!! Nice FO's on the post below too!! Wow!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

Oh, that is SO cool!

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes