Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Some Gave All

Today, we remember those who gave their lives in service to our country.

We just returned from the parade and the service at our town's memorial monument.

Buggy marched with her Brownie troop, and because she was in full Brownie Regalia, she got to carry the American flag.

Our High School marching band is awesome.

Father Roger is one of our two local retired priests. He was a Navy chaplain and he gave the invocation and convocation. He concelebrates mass with us on a regular basis.

My friend from church, Nan, and her husband Art (US Navy, ret.) did a bell ceremony to honor the sailors lost at sea. A wreath was placed at the monument, and the Girl Scouts threw flowers into the river.

I didn't get a picture of the Legionnaire that passed out during the keynote speech, nor of the Boy Scout that went down during the convocation. I thought it would be tacky. No worries. There was a full complement on hand from the fire department, complete with ambulance. Some water and some A/C and they're right as the mail.

It is about 80 F today with a lovely breeze, but it was pretty hot down in Monument Square. Which is really just the middle of the road by the church parking lot. And pavement gets hot. And that Legionnaire wasn't exactly young. It certainly does back up my theory that Boy Scouts are prone to fainting spells. They try so hard to stand up straight like little soldiers and they lock their knees and next thing you know, down they go. They should learn to fidget like Girl Scouts and band members. All that standing up straight is a recipe for disaster. Ask a Brownie. They'll tell you.

All the kids who marched got free ice cream cones.

And now, as per the annual tradition, I will go prepare the fixin's for this afternoon's cookout and ice down the beer. But know that even as I sit outside and enjoy a burger and a cold one, I will not be unmindful of those families whose loved ones aren't with them today because they died defending the freedoms that I enjoy.

If you are one of those families, may God bless you and yours always, and thank you so much.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Aw, Bug looks so cute in her full Brownie Uni!

7:08 AM  
Blogger Cindy in (un) Happy Valley said...

You might be interested to hear that at Sunday mass the retired priest who gave the homily, said a few words for Pentecost and then led the congregation in singing "America the Beautiful" (all verses). I didn't know whether to be amused or touched.

Sometimes I think too much.

10:25 AM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

I wanna live where you do, Poops! What a great place!!

Cute little Brownie ya got there. I looked like such a dork in my uniform, but she wears it well!

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes