Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

How Do You Make a Girl Scout?

First you get a Brownie real hot...


Okay, that's offsides, considering the content of this post. Bug had her Brownie Bridging Ceremony last night, even though she technically didn't "bridge" to anything. She's still a Brownie, albeit a 2nd year Brownie. She's marching in the Memorial Day Parade with her troop on Monday. I shall try to get pictures.

I always wanted to be a Brownie. I loved the outfits. I was Junior GS in the fifth grade but it was the lamest thing ever, so I quit after one year. And the outfit was heinous. Truly heinous.

That's Bug and her buddy Rachael having a little something after the ceremony. She got a bunch more try-it patches and her membership pin which I will affix appropriately before the big parade.

Am I the only one that hates that GS uniforms went to iron-on patches? I hate iron-on patches with a passion because they don't stay stuck. After DH washed her vest and ran it through a hot dryer, I had to re-stick all the patches that were half falling off. That never happened with my Jr. sash and it's sewn patches. Not to mention that being able to sew on your own patches was a badge-earning skill. And a handy one, I might add.



I'm making great progress on the Chinese baby sweater. Let me say that this puppy is considered by the Vogue editors to be "experienced--for knitters able to work patterns with complicated shaping and finishing". They're not whistling Dixie either, folks. The first pic is of the jacket body all stretched out flat. As you can see I've worked the two fronts and I'm finishing up the back. Next comes making the sleeves and blocking the whole thing to size before seaming.

The second pic gives a better idea of what it will look like done. The fronts wrap and will tie on the side. The eyelets you see at the bottom are going to become a picot edge (so cute!) and it will have a black and gold fretted band along the neckline and the bottom of the sleeves.


That colorwork at the bottom? Worked flat. Ugh. And the top is a pain with the neck shaping and lattice pattern going on at the same time.


Still...I like it! And it looks like I might have enough yarn to make the little hat too. I'll have to see if I feel like making it when I'm done with the sweater.


Also I'm six mittens into an order of 12 for an etsy customer. I'm thinking of making a few more mittens before starting on the sweater sleeves. Just to take a break from all this knitting that requires thought. And I still have a charity sweater that needs some finishing too. I'm dreading the sleeves and I don't know why.


That's all for today.


Oh, except I got a yarn prize in the mail yesterday! Knottyknitterkris had a blog contest and I won! She sent two lovely skeins of lavender Panda Wool. I don't know what I'm going to use it for, and I don't care. For now, I shall pet it and make it love me.

5 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

that is a very cheerful sweater. i like it!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

That Chinese baby sweater is gorgeous! I'd even be tempted to make an adult version, or to incorporate the colors and patterns into an adult sweater. Beautiful!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yay for Bug! I was a Brownie, and loved it. But I too like the sew on badges, and the beanie!! This too modern stuff..hmmm..

The Chinese baby sweater is looking fabulous!! Go you!!

and um..yikes! Go you Mitten Queen!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I was a brownie to girl scout to cadette? I think. It was way too lame being the older blue one. I bailed.
The sweater is impressive!
SO is the amount of mittens you willed yourself to make!

9:09 AM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

Bloody hell, Poops, that's not a sweater...it's a feat of engineering!! Well done!

Yeah, I was a Brownie, then a Junior girl scout, and I sewed on every one of my numerous badges (had too many, really). Do they still make those sashes and such out of that horrid polyester green material!?

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes