Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Friday, May 11, 2007

And With the Dawn Comes a New Day

I am so glad yesterday is over, really and truly glad. And relieved.

The funeral was a lovely affair. Fr. Albert always does a nice job with a funeral, be it a full-blown mass or just a few words at the cemetery. I wish I could say that we knocked the songs out of the park, but that'd be a big old lie. Still, people are kind and lots of folks came up after and told us we sounded beautiful. Thank God for kind people.

I called my sister after I got home and asked how it really was. She said that considering how nervous I was, it was quite good. She said yes, I wasn't pitch perfect all the time, but it certainly wasn't as wretched as I thought. (I think she was expecting it to be worse than it was.)

I'm just happy it's over.

Now I can look forward to NH Sheep and Wool! I need to call Sister and find out what time we're leaving on Sunday. I have no idea what I want to buy yet. See, we're going to be at the big tent sale at WEBS next Saturday too, so I know there'll be every imaginable commercial yarn available at great prices, so it's likely my attention this weekend will be on handspun, handdyed, and roving galore! I'm in the market for a top-whorl spindle as well.

Next weekend I'm going to be on the lookout for yarn for the little Chinese sweater I'm planning on making. And perhaps yarns suitable for charity knitting. You know, easy care fibers.

I have made a commitment to knitting more for charitable causes. I'm partway through a sweater for Guideposts Knit for Kids, and I've done three Hats for Alex and I'm working on the fourth. As soon as I finish the fourth one, I'll send them off to Pam and I'll post the pattern I designed just for the project. Here's a preview picture of one of them, just to tide you over.

Remember how I said I believe that you get back what you send out?

"Consider this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each must do as already determined, without sadness or compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. Moreover, God is able to make every grace abundant for you, so that in all things, always having all you need, you may have an abundance for every good work." (That's 2 Corinthians 9:6-8.)

Or, call it karma, if you like. It's all the same to the clam.

Well, I hadn't knit anything for charity, and my sales on etsy have been slow. I sensed a correlation, or call it a sign if you will that I'm doing too much taking and not enough giving. I start knitting some hats and a sweater and the next thing I know I sell a bowl and get a special order request all in the same day. Spooky.

I'm a bit gunshy about doing a special order, but it does sound kind of fun and right up my alley. He wants 10 different mittens--not pairs, single mittens--for an art installation at a library. It's going to be a wall where kids can measure themselves using different everyday objects, and he thought my mittens were fun and would be a great thing to use in the project. So he wants ten different, brightly colored mittens.

Good grief. Mittens for art's sake.

I did tell him that I'm wary of doing a special order like this because unlike pairs of mittens, if he changes his mind, I can't really expect to resell these in the shop. And while I could always go back and make a second mitten for each one, I really don't want to have 10 more pair of mittens in stock at this time.

I told him that, so the ball's in his court. If he's still interested, the mitten queen is going to be back in business.

See, it's all about the karma.

I wonder what one reaps when one sows a knitted penis?

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

The ending of this post made me smile broadly. Thanks for sharing. Just stopping by on the next blog button. Take care!

Andrew in Alabama
The 4th Avenue Blues

4:11 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Hee! I don't know, what DOES a knitted penis reap?
I like the idea of mittens for the sake of art! The first and only pair of mittens I made were mittens for art. Hee!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Have a super weekend and next weekend too! Love the hat, looking forward to the pattern!

See ya Mitten Queen!

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes