Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Of Sun and Raindrops and Dongs for a Cause

Remember yesterday morning when I was kvetching about the weather? How I’d give anything for a patch of blue sky or a fleeting glimpse of the sun?

Right after I finished that diatribe, I noticed the clouds thinning and the sky getting brighter. Next thing I know, I see a patch of sunlight on the neighbor’s roof. I crane my neck to get a better look and what is that? Off in the distance? BLUE SKY! Smiling at me!

We did have a thunderstorm pass through early in the afternoon, but ever since then it’s been clear and cool and windy. Springlike even, you might say! I’m liking it! You can practically hear the grass grow.

So it seems odd to answer a question about raindrops today. It would have been topical yesterday, but I cannot argue with the Mixing Bowl of Fate. It gives me the name it gives me. And I'm down to three more names, which means I’ll be done answering questions by the end of the week. Whatever will I blog about?

SuzannaBanana wants to know “Why are the reflections in the raindrops on my windshield upside down? I used to know the answer but I don’t know it anymore.”

Well, long scientific explanation short, it’s has to do with reflection and refraction. Basically, the image enters the raindrop, bounces off the inside curved surface of the drop and is reflected in the eye. Because the surface is curved, the image is inverted, much like the way an image reflected in the bowl of a spoon is upside down as well, due to the concave surface. And I think the angle of reflection is 42 degrees, but don't quote me on that.

That’s my short answer for laypersons. There are some WAY involved answers out there, but that’s it in a nutshell.

Leaving the science behind, we turn to the news from the knitting world. I am going to participate in the First Annual Dong-a-Long. You can read all the details at the official blog by clicking here, or using the button over on the left. The original specimen is sort of a tan color and crocheted. Mine is going to be knit, and as far as the color goes, let’s just say that “once you go black, you never go back.” I wonder if they still sell the curly wool for doll hair. ‘Cause I’m going to need some.

Bobo’s “Monica” tank is coming right along. I have to wind a couple more skeins into balls as soon as I’m done with this, and I should be able to finish hers today. I just have to make the ruffle, join it at the top and make the straps.

I did a lot of research yesterday on charity knitting. I’ve got some great organizations lined up and a bunch of free patterns to choose from. I just have to check with the church and make sure there’s a time and space available for us, pick a date for the initial meeting, and put an announcement in the bulletin. I’m hoping it will be a popular idea. Though I doubt we’ll be working on Dongs for the Dong-a-Long. That might be a bit offsides for a church group, I think.

The problem with having good ideas is that they seem to rise up in the middle of the night for some reason. I woke up just before three this morning because I didn’t feel well all at once. As I lay there, contemplating why my belly would be bothering me at three a.m., Bobo woke up as she is prone to do. I went in, told her to lie down and go back to sleep, and proceeded to go downstairs to wait out the crying jag. It didn’t take long, and I came back upstairs, chomped some Tums and lay back down. Once my stomach calmed down my mind wouldn’t stop turning! I thought and thought and thought some more until well after 4:30. Needless to say, once I got back to sleep I did not want to get up!

But I’m up, and more or less ready to take on the world. Alas, if only my mind worked as well during the day as it does in the middle of the night.

*sigh*

1 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Yeah I debated about what color to make my dong. I like the pink though. Maybe technicolor dongs would be cool too.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes