Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Tag. I'm it.

I've been tagged by the lovely Erica with the "Seven Random Things About Me" Meme.

The hardest part is finding seven people to tag who haven't already been tagged.

Okay, seven random things about Poops.

1. My house generally looks like someone picked it up, shook it, and set it down again. I hate housekeeping with a passion. However, there are aspects of my life that have to be "just so" or I will implode. For instance, there's a bookshelf next to me here that has dusty crap piled on top of it. (Apparently I missed it the last time I dusted in 2003.) But the cookbooks that reside there are arranged by height, and if someone were to take a book off and replace it upside down or out of line, I'd have to fix it or I wouldn't be able to sleep.

2. I have a thing about odd numbers and my dislike of them. I can't knit odd numbers of rows. If I'm making a mitten, say, and it says to knit in rib for so many inches long, I have to make it an even number of rows. My cuffs will never be 13 rows or 15. Fourteen, yes. Twelve is damn near perfect in every way. I'm a fan of 16 but not 14 as much, though it's way better than 13. I find prime numbers disturbing. The more divisors an number has, the more I like it.

3. I love to be barefoot. I can't wait until it is warm enough to go outside with no shoes on. Even as I type this, my feet are cold and naked. I will probably put my slippers on just until it warms up in here a bit. But know that I don't want to. I can't sleep in socks at all. Sometimes I have to put a pair on because it is so cold in the bedroom that I can't fall asleep because my feet are too cold, but once they warm up, I wind up shucking them under the covers. Sometimes I'll change the sheets and find random socks in there.

4. I hate making phone calls. I don't mind answering the phone at all. I kind of get excited wondering who's on the line. But I don't like calling people, and I don't know why. Even close friends and family. For instance, I need to make Dr. appts for me and the girls for June, and I'm dragging my feet. I think about it and think about it but can't pick up the phone to call. I need my hair cut, but can't seem to make the call to schedule that either. If you are reading this and you're a friend of mine, know that I would love to talk to you on the phone, but I have trouble dialing. But if you were to call me, I'd talk your ear off for hours. It'd be great.

5. I know every line of dialogue of the movies The Quiet Man and Yankee Doodle Dandy. If you were to turn the sound off, I could lip sync both of them for you. (My oldest daughter is named after Maureen O'Hara's character in The Quiet Man.) I can recite large passages of other movies as well, including but not limited to Bull Durham, Moonstruck, So I Married an Axe Murderer, Gone With the Wind, and Big Jake. (If I'd had a boy, he'd have been named after John Wayne's character in Big Jake and Montgomery Clift's character in Red River.)

6. I have never tried a craft that I can't do and do well. I am proficient in needlework of all sorts (crewel, cross stitch, candlewicking, needlepoint, et al), knitting, crochet, sewing, quilting, rubber stamping, scrapbooking, pysanky, jewelry making, candle making, calligraphy, ceramics, sketching (pencil and charcoal), watercolor painting, and quilling, just to name a few. I didn't like them all, but I can do them all with some skill. Definitely way beyond beginner level anyway. I have no doubt that if I were to attempt rug hooking, tatting, weaving, origami, pottery, or macrame that I'd be good at those too. Crafting is my "thing". I usually do one at a time and then move on to the next thing, but not always. I am in need of a craft studio for all my many pursuits. I should have my own TV show. And I think I'd be a fantastic finish carpenter. I plan to learn that as my next career. Good money in it, too.

7. Almost as soon as I finish reading a book, I forget it. Now, I can watch a movie once or twice and quote dialogue from it accurately. I can memorize lines in a play or lyrics to a song faster than you would think possible. But if I read a novel and you ask me to summarize it a week later or quiz me on plot details, I'd be stumped. And if I were to pick that book up a year later, it would be like a new novel to me. I have read James Michener's Hawaii at least 10 times and it's new every time. Same with Busman's Honeymoon (Dorothy Sayers), QBVII by Leon Uris, anything by Robertson Davies, and most John Irving novels. I have no power of recollection when it comes to novels. I've taken books out of the library and been three-quarters through it before it starts to feel familiar and I realize I've read it already. And I keep reading because I still don't know how it turns out in the end. The nice thing about that quirk is that I really get my money's worth at the bookstore.

So now I have to tag seven other bloggers...

Yorkie.
Messie.
Penny Karma.
Dances in Garden.
Wonky.
ZantiMissKnit.
and...
CBear.

Share all things freaky with us, won't you?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

I am the same way about the phone. seriously.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter is also named for Maureen O'Hara's character in the movie the Quiet Man! With our Irish last name, all of our kids have Irish first and middle names, so we found Mary Katherine to be appropriate! We have always called her Mary Kate. Unfortunately, everyone always says, hey Mary Kate, where's Ashley? stupid people!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

I know what you mean, I hate house cleaning too!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

You're like a Kung Fu Crafter! I should have figured from all those rubber stamps I saw in the background of some picture you posted.

I'd watch you on TV, you'd spank Carol Duvall for sure!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Hehe! Interesting! :)

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes