Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Another Fail?

Not this time, baby!

I was planning on making some homemade black raspberry ice cream today with my homemade black raspberries. We have them growing wild all over the place. There are a ton of them right behind my house between our house and the neighbors' and there's a good sized patch of them up behind the woodpile just past the clothesline. Unfortunately we can't get to all of those because of an errant sapling and said woodpile. We left them as a treat for the birds this year, but I'm thinking I could get Grandpa Ernee and his love of All Things Chainsaw to take care of those for me before the next berrying season hits. Maybe if I bribe him with a dish or two of this:Homemade black raspberry ice cream! (With a drizzle of Magic Shell...)

I was sure it was going to be a fail of some sort since the black hole has eaten the ice cream recipes that I so painstakingly wrote out after a whole summer and much trial and error in my kitchen.

No worries. The hole can keep them. Here's the recipe for the BEST ice cream EVER.

Black Raspberry Ice Cream--Poops-Style

First, send your kids out every day in the pouring rain or the scorching heat or the stifling humidity to scratch their arms and legs to ribbons picking wee sweet nuggets of black raspberry goodness.

Every day, put the days gleanings in the freezer, because it's going to take awhile to collect enough for ice cream.
When you have at least a cup and half of berries, here's what you do:

In a bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of ripe black raspberries and 3/4 cup sugar and allow to macerate. (That means let them combine and get all soft and juicy.) I find overnight in the fridge is just perfect. When they're soft and juicy, dump them juice and all into the blender or food processor with three tablespoons of lemon juice and whip them into a thick puree. Put the puree in a sieve to separate out the wee seeds. While it's straining into a thick, purple-pink deliciousness, set it aside and get the base ready.

In a medium saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups each whole milk and heavy cream and heat it slowly over medium-low heat. Don't boil it!

While you're warming the milk, combine 4 egg yolks and 1/4 cup of sugar in a mixing bowl and beat the hell out of them with an electric mixer until they are thick and creamy and very pale yellow, about 4 minutes.

Now take a cup or so of the hot milk and add it slowly to the egg mixture a quarter cup at a time while you continue to beat them. Don't rush this part or skip this step because you'll cook the eggs. This is called "tempering" the eggs and it's crucial. Trust me.

Now that the eggs are tempered, you can dump them into the hot milk in the saucepan without fear of cooking them. Do so now, and lower the heat a bit. Cook the egg/milk/cream mixture until it gets thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, stirring constantly--about 10 minutes. Again, keep your heat low and don't boil it.

Bring your berry puree over with the strainer and pour the cooked ice cream base through the strainer with the seeds and puree. This will allow any bits of egg that might have cooked despite your most fastidious tempering efforts to stay behind, and it rinses the last bits of the puree off the pips as well.

Now you've got a fabulously-colored, thick custard-y type mixture in a bowl. Toss in a teaspoon of vanilla and a dash of salt, stir it up really well so that everything is evenly combined and put it in the fridge to chill. This takes hours. Overnight is good, but three or four hours will get it cold enough to put in the ice cream maker. (You can't put warm ice cream base into the ice cream machine or it won't get cold enough to become ice cream. Again, take my word for this.)

Put it in your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions.

How can I describe the result? Somewhere between ice cream and sherbet. Not too sweet, not too creamy, not too tart.

What I've done, aside from that first bowl that simply could not wait to be eaten, is spread that out in a 9-by-13 inch baking pan lined with plastic and popped it in the freezer to harden. Later I'm going to cut it into bars which I'll coat with chocolate and refreeze, making our own homemade Berrylicious Klondike Bars.

Mmmm, purple.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Oh yum! Drooling here! No one around here ever has black raspberry anything...

1:14 AM  
Blogger Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Aw, hell. I was SO with you until you hauled out the ice cream maker. I don't have one and I'm not going to get one. I just might make this anyway. So my question is, can you just use 3 cups of half and half rather than 1.5 each of whole milk and heavy cream?
I like the Hot Cuppa Joe hat. Sometimes I wonder why Knitty doesn't accept more patterns that are easir to operate when finished. It's definitely going into my queue.
My word verification is "cabler." I'd better make the hat.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes