Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Ovarian Ambush

Did y'all know that the zucchini is a fruit? According to Wikipedia (and if you can't believe Wiki, who can you trust?), "In a culinary context, zucchini is treated as a vegetable, which means it is usually cooked and presented as a savory dish or accompaniment. Botanically, however, the zucchini is an immature fruit, being the swollen ovary of the female zucchini flower."

Zucchini's are swollen ovaries. I wish I'd known that before I named my recipe "Crazed Monk Zucchini Bread." Though I don't know if anyone would actually eat Swollen Ovary Bread. It'd be a select group of gourmands, I'm thinkin'.

Anyway, here's today's spoils hand-delivered by the Crazed Monk himself. Six big zucchinis, not to mention a nice haul of fresh cucumbers to boot. There was a ton of yellow squash but I find that's just naaaasty. I think it's going to be a really good year for the garden. It's dryer than I can ever remember out there, and while the lawn is looking really sad and thirsty and crispy, the gardens are lush and green.

I'm salivating thinking of tomatoes already. Though I mustn't count my chickens...

Can I tell you one of the coolest parts of having a blog? I was just wondering to myself if I ever posted the recipe for Crazed Monk Zucchini bread (I haven't, and I will, shortly) and I found myself going back and reading some old entries.

I've had some good thoughts, I tell you whut. And it was fun to read about the things that have happened to me over the past four years. I find I'm better at writing for an audience, albeit a small one, than I am at writing for just me, like in a journal. The only time I've ever kept a journal and gone back and reread what I wrote I blushed with embarrassment for myself. It seemed like so much self-indulgent crap. But the blog...I don't know what's different, but I like it.

I hope you do too. If not, just back away and close the door quietly. I probably won't even notice...

2 Comments:

Blogger Kaye said...

Yeah I need to make some zuke bread. Basement neighbor gave us another one...

8:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like it! And I like your Zuke bread (and I like summer squash). Keep posting baby!!

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes