Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Monday, March 12, 2007

A Woeful Lack of Knitting Content

Though there is a neat new thingy on my sidebar! A gallery of tidbits from my shop! First cool thing etsy's done in a long time!


Aaaaaanyway, there has been much turmoil Chez Poops lately.


First, I broke our Giant Mamajama TV. I broke off the thing that the cable screws into, so while the DVD's play fine, the shows don't come in. So we're watching TV on our old tiny set.


Then, the clothes dryer decided to stop lighting. It's a gas dryer with an automatic pilot which has ceased to light automatically. So the nice folks from Sears are coming to take a peek at it. I bet you dollars to donuts that he tells me it'll be cheaper to buy a new one. That's what he told me 8 years ago when we bought this one. You mark my words. I probably should just start dryer shopping now, huh?


By the way, this is my hundredth post! Whee!


I'm not doing much in the way of knitting these days. I've done a modicum of spinning and I'm getting good with my spindle if I do say so myself. I produced a well-balanced skein this time out, only I forgot and set the twist before I could stop myself. I forgot that I wanted to ply it. No worries. I'm spinning thinner now and have tons of roving left, so I'm sure I'll get enough plyed yarn out of it to do something with.


Here it is, by the way...
Looks even better all washed up and wrapped into a neat center pull ball. I can't wait to knit with it! It has a lot more bounce than my previous attempts at singles.
I do have some contract knitting to be working on. I've been making a hat and legwarmers set for an etsy customer. I finished the hat and listed it, and told her twice that it was ready to be shipped, but she's added to her cart and not paid for it yet. I'm not knitting another stitch on the legwarmers until she pays for the hat. Not that it matters. If she doesn't buy them, I'll just list them on the site and someone else will. No big whoop.
Oh, and I managed to piss off the editrix of the town newsletter, The Belmont Better Times. Which is about the dumbest name for a town paper I've ever heard, but that neither here nor there.
She is a SavetheEarth AlGoreWorshipping Treehugger of the first order. Not that saving the planet is a bad agenda, but she's filling the newsletter about organic farming and recycling and raising your own free range chickens...blah blah blah. This month she put in an editorial saying that she thought the citizens had too many lights on at night. And she said she couldn't fathom why anyone would leave an outside light on at night. We have a low crime rate, says she, and no one needs a security light.
I wrote to her and told her I thought she was wrong. It seems like there are lot of lights on driving through town at night because it gets dark early. You go by at dinnertime and yes, there are lights on. As for lights being on all night, our crime rate is probably low because there are lights on! Well, she took great umbrage at my point of view and accused me of calling her a liar, and said that she didn't have to take abuse even if she was a volunteer editor. Blah blah blah. My favorite part is when she used her "ten years of living in town" as a basis for her opinion. I shot back that I thought my 37 years of living in town in the same house possibly overrode her experience by about 27 years.
In a nutshell, and not using these exact words, I told her to grow a set and get over it.
She also asked for people to come forth who are interested in starting a Community Supported Agriculture Program, or CSA. She said consumers give money to the farmer to pay for his supplies and pay his salary and come harvest time they get produce in exchange, or not if it's a bad season. I asked, "Which farmers benefit?" Who's eligible? Who oversees the farmer to make sure he's not taking the money to Foxwoods? How much money is involved per person?
She couldn't answer any of my questions, and wanted to know what I was "insinuating". I said I wasn't insinuating anything, I just needed more information so I could be an informed consumer.
I have surmised that she is a crackpot. I shall take great delight in tormenting her for the rest of her tenure. She has it coming.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Hee hee! She sounds like a nut. But seriously, maybe you should all tie razors to your free range chickens, leave the chickens in your front yard at night and turn off your lights. ;-)

11:34 AM  
Blogger Cindy in (un) Happy Valley said...

Actually I have a similar suggestion.

I once worked as a research aide at a poultry research facility (don't ask). We worked with all kinds of poultry, and the meanest (and dumbest) bar none, were turkeys.

I've often thought that instead of junkyard dogs, all one needed were a half dozen slightly hungry turkeys, and you could very cost effectively guard the crown jewels-and be ready for Thanksgiving to boot! Talk about recycling maybe you can put that in the next newsletter......

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes