Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

I'm Back, Baby!

I have returned from lovely Newport RI!

Would that the weather had been better. Hot, hazy and humid doesn't make for great sightseeing.

We left yesterday a bit before 9 a.m. and after fortifying ourselves with Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee, we headed south, arriving in Newport at around noonish with two stops for stretching and peeing. Not necessarily in that order. Our first order of business was lunch.

We headed down to First Beach and ate at Flo's Clam shack. I had clam cakes and they were yummy. Those seem to be a Rhode Island thing because you can't order them up here anywhere.

After lunch we hit the pool at the hotel. That was really nice. It turns out that Bobo is a regular tadpole and is fearless in the water. I suppose I should teach her to swim.

For supper we dined at The Brick Alley Pub. It was my favorite restaurant in college and it's my favorite today. No trip to Newport is complete without it. Here's a shot of the girls in the actual brick alley for which the restaurant is named.

After dinner we headed down to Breton Point National Park. It's a lovely grassy spot right on the ocean. The girls and I looked for seashells and seaglass and brought some home to remember the trip. It was very breezy right by the water and as you can see, the girls needed their sweatshirts. Personally, it was the first time in two days my clothes weren't stuck to me with sweat, and I would have stayed there all night.

This morning, after warm hotel baths and what could be considered more of an adequate night's sleep than a good night's sleep, we collected our stuff and met up with Tanta and Baboo for breakfast at IHOP.

I make better pancakes than IHOP. I'll go head to head with them any day. My 'cakes rock.

Anyway, after breakfast we tried to do some shopping down at the wharfs, but it was just so humid!

It's always a zoo in Newport in the summer, but it was moreso because the Tall Ships are in town! We got to go on one and check it out.Here are Tanta and Baboo with their girls by the Spirit of Massachusetts tall ship.

We also got to see the President's helicopter fly over. He's giving the commencement address at the Naval War College today, and every time a helicopter would go over Baboo would say it was the President. But one time there were two smaller grey helicopters followed by one big one with United States of America on the tail. That'd be the one with W in it. We waved, but we don't know if he saw us. I like to think he did.

After they drove the ship for a bit, we stopped at the store, grabbed some juice for the ride, and went back out to the Point. Again, seashells and rocks were collected, but we didn't have long to visit, because we had to head home. Which we did.

We left Newport at 12:30 and got home at 3:30. Bobo does NOT like tunnels. We discovered that in Boston.

It is still hazy, hot and humid here, with the promise of some thunderstorms and cooler air later. I hope it hits soon. I have to go to a cookout in half and hour and my clothes are completely stuck to me again. There's no cooling onshore breeze here, that's for sure.

We noticed that there is a TON of real estate for sale right now, especially on Bellevue Ave. I would move to Newport in a heartbeat.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Looks like a fun trip!!

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had a great time.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

So fun! Enjoyed reading about your adventures. And how you make better pancakes than IHOP.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your girls are beautiful.

I'm off to shop for you this weekend.

Your secret pal.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes