Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Monday, July 02, 2007

A Well-Turned Ankle

My well-turned ankles are not a matched set today. Today, my right ankle is sore. It was yesterday, too. Know why? 'Cause I spent hours and hours turning sheep hair into yarn.

I overdid it. I'm pretty sure it's a repetitive motion injury. It was totally worth it, though. Remember this big bag of roving from the Sheep Shed Studios? It's Brown Sheep Mill Ends in the "browns" family. Well, I got it all spun up and plyed. I didn't do the whole pound all at once! I did about half of it previously, and just returned my attention to it this weekend.

First, this is a blurry shot of it single-spun. I'm still working with the macros function on my old camera. It's yet another learning curve.

This is the same yarn plyed. He's my first from this batch of roving, and I call him "Overspun". You can see I'm getting a handle on the macros now.
This is his sister. Her name is "Underspun". She was spun second and I was trying to compensate for overspinning her big brother. I haven't quite figured out how to tell if I'm over- or under-spinning while it's happening.
This is them with the baby. She's "Wouldn't Fit on the Bobbin." Underspun as well. She looks like her big sister. Sorry it's so dark. This is with the flash and with my kitchen light turned up all the way on a sunny morning. That's how dark my kitchen is. It's like a black hole.
Here they are just hanging out after a bath. You can see Overspun on the left and Underspun on the right.
The closeup shots give you a better idea of the color of the yarn. Sort of a medium brown that has bits of white and black if you look really closely.

All told I have about 350 yards of the stuff and not a clue what it wants to be. It will whisper to me in time, I'm sure.

In other news, I have laryngitis. It's better today, but I still sound kind of rough. I was supposed to cantor on Sunday and I couldn't do it. I sounded like Peter Brady in that episode where his voice is changing. Just like that, as a matter of fact.

And it's cold here! It's 54 degrees on my porch and breezy. Not a cloud in the sky. If the weather was like this all year round I swear I'd move here.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Browns are beautiful and such a rich chocolaty color too. Nice yarn you have spun there! I can't wait to see what it decides to be.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

It's gorgeous, but do take care of your ankles. They have years and years of spinning still ahead of them!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It looks so soft... I want to touch it! How lovely. I've just ordered my first drop spindle, so I'm about to start a learning curve of my own...

2:01 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

When it's time to change, then it's... tiiiime to chaaaaaaange...

7:19 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I am learning so much from your spinning adventures.
Take care of yourself!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oh that looks so soft and cuddly!! Nice job there Poops!! Go you!

BTW, laryngitis here too...sigh!

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes