Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Mitten Queen Strikes Back

I've been making mittens again. Well, fingerless mittens anyway. I didn't have many in stock, and with two craft fairs looming in the near future, I thought I'd better have some ready. Plus, one of my knitters ordered a pair from me, and I needed to dust off my pattern and practice a bit. I've been sweater-happy lately, dontcha know. So this first pair is from WOTA and features a cable down the center back. (I also needed some cable practice for my special order.) This is called something like an inverted gull cable (?) or something to that effect. I know it's in the "gull family" of cables. I added amber glass beads on the cable and I think it gives an elegant effect. You will forgive me for the inadequate lighting, sub-par camera, and general unblockedness of the mittens won't you? Thanks so much, I knew you'd understand.
This second pair is made from Plymouth Boku. Which is surprisingly like Noro Silk Garden. It does not felt well. These came out huge for some reason, and I attempted to felt them. They did shrink a bit after a spin in the washer and the hot dryer (!). They have a wee embroidered design on the back of each one with wee glass bead accents. Who says your mittens have to match?
Klingon mittens! These are from Karaoke and for some reason I thought these would stripe more. I used it as an accent for sweaters for the girls and it just seemed stripier. You can't see the colors well because of the poor lighting, but these striped a lot like Noro too. So they start with purple at the bottom, but the left one progresses from gold to green, and the right one progresses from magenta to blue. Again, two mittens that don't match. These have a razor shell pattern up the center back that looked a lot like a Klingon's forehead when I was making them, and I added a single crochet border with picots in black as an accent. Fit for a warrior, I think.
Finally, a pair of simple 2 x 2 rib mittens. I showed one on so that you could see the magic stretchiness of the ribbing. These are made from Berroco's Jasper, and if it wasn't so freaking expensive I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Merino wool and fabulously soft, with just a hint of self-striping to make it interesting. All the colors were so pretty it was hard to choose just one.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to. I have one more pair on the needles that I'll finish up today. Those are a discontinued Elsbeth Lavold yarn and they have a lace pattern on them. I ran out of the first ball and have to root around in the stash for the other ball that I know is in there somewhere.

It appears that the sun may indeed be coming out today, so perhaps these might get a bath after all.

In other non-knitting news, I have my first religious ed class tonight. My first class as a teacher, that is. I'm not all that nervous because there are only four kids in my class and I already know one of them. And she's a hot shit. I'm assured that the rest of the group are good kids too, so it should be a pretty easy year. I plan at the first class to enlist them in helping me teach a class that they'll like. Find out what they enjoy and how they'd like to proceed. Because apparently I can do anything I want to get the info to them. I figure if they have some input, they might be more invested in it.

I should have them take turns teaching. How funny would that be? That's the kind of thing I'd have loved as a student.

And this coming weekend we're off to NY for a wedding. My cousin is getting remarried. My mom is watching the girls for the weekend, so if you have any good thoughts to send her way, I think she could use them. (Isn't it funny how a woman who raised two kids in a generation where the dad didn't help at all is kind of tweaky about watching her grandkids for an overnight? It's not like she's not experienced or anything...I suppose they're still "someone else's kids" so that makes a difference....)

There's more news to come, but it will have to wait a day or two. In the meantime, talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic: the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire. Discuss.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

The mitten queen is back in action! Chunky needs a new pair of mittens this winter and I thought to myself, WWPD? What would Poops do? Make him some!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I was an empire, but not particularly Roman or holy, though they aspired to those traits.

11:57 AM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

I've been thinking of trying that Karaoke...guess it doesn't felt as well at the Kuyreon??

They still look pretty. I like the colourways.

4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes