Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Larger Than Life, or At Least the National Average

Both Bobo and Dave are big kids.

Bobo is 45 inches tall and 45 pounds, putting her over the 90th percentile for height and weight.

Daveareeno (Bobo's new name for him) is 13 lbs 6 oz and 24 inches long, also over the 90th percentile for height and weight.

Bug hasn't had her checkup yet, but she might break the giant kid streak. She's tallish, but skinny. You could snake the toilet with her. Not that I would. She's too cute.

Both kids are quite healthy and robust and passed their checkup with flying colors.

I asked about Bobo and her lack of potty training, and the doc seemed to think it was more a matter of her being a late bloomer than it was a serious issue. She did a physical exam and took a urine sample anyway, but said she looked good and the sample turned out a-ok so she has no urinary problems. She agreed that it is odd that she's trained with no pants on, but pees in her panties but seems to think that this is something that while annoying, will pass as most things do. Kind of a "when she's ready, she'll stay dry" kind of thing. Could be a matter of her taking control over one of the few things she actually can control. God knows why, but then who knows why 4 year olds do most things. They're odd.

She said she didn't think Bobo really needed a more detailed developmental exam, based on what she saw. No red flags were going off or anything, but since the tests are free and done through the school, it certainly couldn't hurt to have her tested. If I thought it would put my mind at ease.

I don't think it's necessary. I've seen all the lists of what kids are supposed to be able to do at what age, and she's right on par and even a bit ahead of the curve with some things. And other things she's where she usually is--within the spectrum of "normal" but on the far end. Like "the kid should have an expressive vocabulary of 50 - 100 words by 24 months", only Bobo gets to 23 months and 27 days without saying a word and then right before I'm about to think she's never going to speak, she starts pointing at things like Helen Keller at the pump and telling me the names of EVERYTHING in her world. All at once. Like she'd been saving them up all that time. Within normal operating parameters, but just barely.

So while she's old to still be having accidents, it's not unheard of and doesn't necessarily mean anything other than she's just taking longer than the average child to master this set of skills. Or she's figured out that it's something she can control and so she is. I dunno.

We had a major breakthrough today in that she asked to brush her teeth and let me guide her in doing it right! Usually it's a fight every day over brushing and I have to force her to do it at all, then I have to go in and brush them correctly. Needless to say, the thought of pulling all her teeth has occurred to me. After all, cutting off most of her hair has made hair brushing time a pleasure.

So the fact that she held the toothbrush herself and figured out how to hit all of her teeth AND didn't throw the toothbrush when I helped her get the right angle when she was having trouble is a huge step. It wasn't that long ago that I had to wrap her in a bath towel and pry her jaws open to do any kind of brushing at all.

Do you see what I'm dealing with? I think she'll be an amazing person someday. If ever I let her live that long...

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Giggles was very into whatever she was doing when she was that age. She didn't have the short attention span that most 4 year olds have. So I would make sure to set the kitchen timer for 30 min and would remind her to take a potty break. It seemed to help. Just thought I would pass it along.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Chunky's got that freak tall gene or I drank too much tap water when I was pregnant with him. He came out 22" long at birth and hasn't stopped since. My sister teases me that I'll be that mom in the grocery store asking her 10 year old to reach the stuff on the top shelf for her. Ha ha!

I'll be honest, I was a tad bit like Bug. I was pretty much potty trained, but I can remember a few occasions in kindergarden when I couldn't be bothered to go to the bathroom...I don't remember it feeling like a control thing--it was more like I'm having more fun playing with the puzzles...I'll try to hold it. And then well yeah, the rest is history. And then there was circle time at CCD...man, THAT was embarrassing.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

Davearino.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes