Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I Haven't Broken Him Yet

Dave had his one week checkup yesterday and got a clean bill of health. It's appropriate that he's sitting in his rainforest swing in this picture. For the last few days it's felt like the rainforest around here. It's hot. Hot and wet. That's fine when you're with a lady, but not when you're in the jungle. It's hot enough in my underwear you could cook things in it. Do a little Crotch Pot cooking. (Name that movie!)

You should have seen my cankles. Unreal. They're puffy this morning, but much better thanks to cooler temps and diuretics.
But enough about me and my sausage toes. Dave is great. What an easy baby! If his sisters had been this well-behaved, we might well be on our sixth baby by now.
He's a great eater. He takes about two ounces at a time now and is sleeping for three-hour stretches. When he's awake, he's quite content and peaceful. He likes his swing and seems determined to figure out the great mystery that is his hands.
He's 21 inches long, but the nurse thinks that has less to do with growing and more that they didn't stretch him well in the hospital. No matter. He's back up to his birthweight plus a couple extra ounces for good measure: 8 lbs 15 oz. Heart and lungs sound fine, no sign of jaundice at all. He's peel-y from being a week overcooked, but she said that dry skin will clear up on its own in a few more weeks. His cord stump fell off on Monday and she said the button is just about all healed. His circumcision is almost all healed too. We go in next week for a quick once-over and another weight check.
I'm healing up nicely too. I don't feel quite as much like my private parts went ten rounds with the heavyweight champion of the world, but I'm still moving kind of slow. I have a lot more energy these days, too. Now, if I could just get my feet to shrink all the way back...
I've been doing a bit of knitting, but I didn't take any pictures yet. I made a cute baby hat that Dave will be happy to model now that it's not Africa hot in here. With my own homespun, no less! I started a pair of mittens yesterday that I couldn't work on because my hands were so sweaty! Summer knitting just isn't as satisfying.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I discovered in the hospital that our pediatrician is a Knitter! I was doing a spot of knitting on my last day in the joint and she came in and we started talking yarn. I almost dropped her as a doctor because I felt that we just hadn't connected. I picked her from the practice after our much beloved pedi retired a couple years ago. But man, you put some yarn in the mix and suddenly we're on like a house afire!
She belongs to the Louet yarn-o-the-month deal and when she saw I was coming in with Dave she brought in her latest package to show me what she got. We totally bonded. Yarn is the great uniter after all!

5 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Holy crap. He's got the Bug/Bobo nose. No denying they're all related!

Too funny about your ped!

And I'm with you on the summer knitting. Ugh. I haven't touched the needles in a week it seems!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I picked up on the Goodmorning Vietnam reference but not crotch pot cooking.

Dave is so cute. I'm glad he's being such an easy baby. I've always heard that boy are easier. Maybe it starts early. :)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM!!!

9:22 AM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

I remember that movie, esp. those lines. Good old Roosevelt E. Roosevelt!

Newborns always look so drunk and bleary...it's hilarious. Unless he really IS drunk and bleary. That would explain why he's so placid right now. You puttin' him on the sauce already??

4:10 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Of course you haven't broken him yet... he's not your first, you're good at this! And he's so cute. I want to come by and give him a cuddle.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes