Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

How to Know When You Should Just Stay Home

When you see this in the sky, it's a good day to go back to bed. Things just aren't going to be going your way.

I should have seen this sign a couple days ago when I woke up with the kids' cold. I'm feeling rather poorly this past couple of days, and you would know it's one of the busiest weeks I've had.

Monday night was our last choir practice. We played "Choir Roulette". One person stuck a finger in the hymnal and we sang whatever song he picked at random. It turned out to be one we didn't know, so we all learned it on the spot. It was a nice song, and it was fun to do.

But choir is over for the year, at least the practices. And we have two new cantors on the schedule so I'm not heavily scheduled this year.

But then Tuesday night was Bug's chorus concert at school. I wish I could say how much I love watching kids perform and how wonderful it was, but it's like torture for me. I love to see my Buglette up there and her little buddies, but at the end of the day, I don't like child performers. I find the talented ones truly creepy...like those little girls who sound like grownups, or the little boys that dance like Michael Jackson could before his nose fell off. And the untalented ones--well, I go between feeling bad for them and bad for myself.

And what's the deal with movement when kids sing? Why can't they just hold still and concentrate on the music instead of acting out the song? I know her music teacher/chorus director well and I may ask if I can find a way to do it tactfully. Even Bug says it's hard to do the movements because while you're trying to remember what movement to do next, you forget the words.

Then again, I think show choir is intrinsically evil.

So that was Tuesday. Last night was Confirmation for all the area churches over at Sacred Heart in Laconia. There were 70 kids being confirmed, and the place was packed. The music was everything that is wrong with church music, in my opinion. I like my church music to have some life. I like it to be joyful, especially on a joyful occasion. Sacre Coeur has a big ass pipe organ and every song sounded like it was being played on Valium. I felt like I was stoned. I wish I was stoned.

Dave decided he was hungry again last night, which means that he didn't get enough solid food yesterday evening, and even though DH got up with him since I felt like crap (and still do), I still had to listen to his big mouth while he settled himself back down for sleep.

So this morning I'm tired, and sick, and dragging ass.

Oh, and the TiVo shit the bed yesterday. I'm going to plug it in later and see if I can make it work, so let's keep our fingers crossed, shall we? Thank God all my season finales are over. Would have sucked to miss those!

And today is the Feast of the Ascension of the Lord, a holy day of obligation. I'm cantoring at Mass at 6, then we have our monthly Altar and Rosary meeting afterwards. It's going to be brief, I think. But I have to make something for a funeral tomorrow, probably cookies, 'cause I said I would.

And then tomorrow is probably going to be blessedly peaceful. DH has a half-day and if he's home in time I may go to a funeral, or not. I don't know. We'll play it by ear anyway.

That's my life in a nutshell. Busy, busy, busy. Sometimes you have to read the signs in the clouds.

3 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

OH, did you really take that picture? That is too funny.

I hate to break this to you, but with three kids, you have at least 16 more years of dreadful school performances to endure before you are free of it. I just went to 8th Grade Chorus and Band Spring Concert last night. The good news is, by 8th grade, some of the kids actually have learned a bit about making music.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

I'm just thanking my lucky stars that Chunky is done with the uber-showtime preschool. I don't know if it's just the Russian culture--both those women LOVED putting on a show for anything! Groundhog Day Musical Extravaganza! Complete with many costume changes and elaborate singing and dancing. Yikes.

6:01 PM  
Blogger ChestyLove said...

You do all that, and you still have time to chat with me. You're amazing!

When I was in 4th grade, I realised I hate hate HATED sitting on the cafeteria tables in the dark watching some people I didn't care about try to sing or play some sort of wind instrument. It was wretched. So I decided I'd rather be on the stage instead and started playing the violin and joined the chorus. It made things a lot better.

I was never in a "show" choir, but I knew folks who were, and they made it sound like it was AWESOME. They just looked like idiots to me...like they WANTED to be in drama (like me) but didn't quite have the balls to do it. Pathetic.

I don't look forward to the day when I have to sit through Max's productions...60 kids all playing squeaky clarinets...gaaah. I sat through his Reception end of year singing program last year in the UK. They all stopped singing about half way through cept for Max and his buddies. The others started fights, burst into tears, fell off the stage, wet themselves, or just plain wandered off.

Yeah, good times.

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes