Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

What I've Been Making, Besides Dave

If you go over to the sidebar and click on my etsy link, you can see all the mittens and fingerless mittens I've been working on this winter since I got my knitting mojo back. There are twice as many there, I just didn't want to put all those pictures here and make the page load so very slowly.

Anyway, my mojo went away for awhile, but not really for very long. It got a big boost on New Year's Day when Sister and I hit the annual sale at Patternworks. My favorite part of their sale is not the 20% off all yarns, but instead it's the "orphan" baskets all over the store that are full of single skeins all marked down 50%. Sometimes there are multiple skeins of a single type or color of yarn--I've scored some Koigu this way, among others--and it's one way I can try out different yarns that I might not be able to afford any other way.

Case in point: that first pair of gray cabled fingerless mittens. It's made of Pure Merino by Berrocco and it's lovely to touch and to work with, but I could never afford a sweater's worth of the stuff. However, one skein at 50% off is doable. And just enough for a pair of mitts. Apparently that particular yarn winds up in the orphan bin quite a lot due to the fact that the skeins don't stay wrapped particularly well. Patternworks doesn't put skanky looking loose skeins out on the floor. They mark them down, God bless their sweet hearts. I don't care about loose yarn!

I made some Klingon mitts, the purple and teal ones with black trim over there, from a single skein of Plymouth Boku. It stripes up a lot like Noro. In fact, it reminds me quite a lot of Noro. It doesn't felt like Noro, though. Not as well, anyway. Found the one skein of that and scoffed it up.

The red lacy mitts are from a very soft 100% merino wool whose name escapes me. But I got one ball in red, one in white, and one in yellow.

So, while on that day I added to my stash, I've been chipping away at it bit by bit.

Right now, in an exercise in stash-busting, I'm making the Bug a sweater from some yarn I purchased to fill a customer order, only to have her change her mind before I could start it. It was just as well because I didn't much feel like knitting it at the time. And now I'm making the sweater for Bug but with some modifications.

I also made a sweet short-sleeved cotton baby sweater out of leftover odds and ends of sport weight cotton that I had hanging around. I'll probably get that listed next, along with a toddler cotton sweater as well. And a few chemo caps as well. Then some felted and not-so-felted bags. And hats.

Not to mention the three tiny gowns I made for Christopher's Angels that need a bit of finishing before going on their way to England.

Why am I sitting her typing? Sheesh!

4 Comments:

Blogger Rebel said...

When I was a kid we had a cat named Mittens, and when we held her, if she had her claws out, we'd pat them and say "Pretty Mitts, no claws". And that's all I can think of looking at this page. Pretty mitts! Pretty mitts. (no claws. ;) )

5:02 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I LOVE those mittens. So cool. Glad Dave is letting you work on other things besides hisself.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

All those mittens! You mean you're making a baby and all that stuff, all at the same time? Wow, that's a lot of work. You are superwoman!

9:29 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I love love love those Plymouth Boku mittens! I might have to find that yarn. :)

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes