Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

More Mosaic

More Mittens!
I don't know if I'm correct in referring to this as "mosaic" knitting. But it involves a combination of knit and slipped stitches, which is what I've found as a definition of mosaic everywhere I've looked, so if you know differently, let me know. Anywho, I've finished these mittens using the stitch pattern from Il Cestino. Unlike my post about the ugly bag, these yarns really showed the stitch detail nicely. I like the "swirliness" of them. Later, as in "as soon as I finish this post" I'm going to try some swatches of other slipped combinations and see what I can come up with.
God or the Girl? Update
Well, the five part series ended on Sunday and I was right on three of my four predictions.

I was right about the first guy, Mike, not entering seminary because he has a girlfriend and a job offer. He actually decided in the third show, but that one wasn't too hard. I think he was less attracted by the devotion to God as he was to the trimmings and trappings of priestly service. I bet he'll be a deacon someday, though. He seems as taken with the trimmings and trappings of being a teacher, so he'll be perfectly happy.

I was also right about Dan, the one who had been in and out of the seminary for the past ten years. I had the feeling that he was just doing it to make his parents happy, and I was right. Luckily, he decided to scrap his priestly plans, having realized that he didn't have a calling. I also bet he marries his next girlfriend. I sense an overwhelming need to get laid from this one.

I was also right about the one that went on a missionary trip. I knew he had a real calling and I stand by my opinion that he will make an excellent priest. I felt that despite being young and naive, he was also the most earnest about his calling. And his shortcomings with addressing groups will get better with age and increased confidence. I think I cried more than his parents when he announced his decision.

But the one that threw me was the one that lived in the "Catholic frat house" Fort Zion. I mean, this kid was practically already wearing the Roman collar. What happened was he decided to wait two years until he graduated college before thinking about it anymore. Plus, he's hooked up with the girlfriend again. I have a feeling they'll get married, have far too many kids, and annoy their parish by being "holy rollers". (That one kind of bugged me...he slept on the floor, giving up his bed as some sort of sacrifice. He collects religious statues. He doesn't wear a t-shirt that doesn't have some sort of religious hoo-hah on it. He walks around campus saying the rosary and reading his bible. He taped a picture of Jesus over his mirror so that he wouldn't see himself, but rather what he'd like to be. I mean, really. He would annoy the crap out of me as a priest. Heck, he annoyed the crap out of me on TV.) Come to that, I believe a lot of the "showy" stuff he loves is discouraged (in a way) in the priestly formation. I can count on two fingers the number of priests I've met that sent out that "Look at how holy I am!" vibe.

Now, if you're listening, A&E, I'd love an update about these boys somewhere down the line.

And now, I must make a swatch.

2 Comments:

Blogger knottygnome said...

now i'm wishing i had cable.

don't tempt me with the offer to detangle my yarn, poops. i might make good on that threat. :-)

12:35 PM  
Blogger Poops said...

Seriously! I love to detangle yarn! I find it soothing! Not that I tangle it on purpose or anything like that.

And I have got to get Tivo! I stay up way too late watching documentaries and playing with yarn...

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes