Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Why do you DO that?

An interesting thread topic on the Knittyboard today about non-knitters wondering why one knits.

The best answer I can think of is "Why not?"

Yes, it's usually cheaper to buy something knitted rather than make it, though not always. Depending on what you make and what you make it with, it can cost quite a bit more.

I suppose for some, playing with sticks is a waste of time.

People that say that don't "get" crafts in general. It would be like me asking a stamp collector what the big deal is: I can go to the post office and buy all kinds of stamps. Or asking a golfer why she wants to spend the day chasing a tiny white ball around.

It's not about making something look "just like something you can buy" or even "I can make that for a lot less money". For me it's less about what I'm making and more about that I'm making. It's about the craft and all that goes into it. It's about looking at something you put your time and energy into and saying "I made this."

I craft because I can. Because it's what I do. It's who I am.

1 Comments:

Blogger April said...

I know exactly how you feel. I dyed some WotA and was showing it off at work. One woman asked why I dyed it when I could just buy yarn that looked like that. At first I was speachless, but then I realized something about me and my knitting. It's about creation. To say "I created something interesting, beautiful, useful, artistic." It makes you feel special and important and useful. Like someday your work could be on display somewhere, whether its 10 years from now, or 10,000 years from now. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes