Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

I know why they call them "slippers".

Because they're slippery on wood floors. Unless you "no-skid" the bottoms, which I don't do. Yet. So I will call my creations "slipper-socks" or as my Grammie used to call them, "bedslippers".

I made these for one of the ladies in the choir. Someone on the Knittyboard suggested that when I made a pair for the director that everyone would want some. Well, not everyone, but they did get some oohs and aahs, and when Martha said she wanted some I just couldn't say no. Because I love Martha. And because she wants a pair to show off to her "red hat" ladies. So she got her own pair of "red hat lady slippers."

Or "pied-sous" as they're known in my neck of the woods.

Anyway, they're made with Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in red for the foot and the cuff is KP's Merino Style in iris with a strand of KP's Butterfly Kisses in lilac carried. The heel and bottom are slip-stitched for comfort and the top of the foot is the ever-popular "fan" pattern.

I shall wash and block them and give them to her at mass tonight.

"Warning" by Jenny Joseph
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me,
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and a pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We will have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old and start to wear purple.

5 Comments:

Blogger MBT said...

I believe it was me who said everyone would want them, and I do so love being right!

They are fab - nice job!

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course that's why they call them slippers! My 2 year old will play in the dining room all morning when she has her wool slippers on....she calls it ice skating.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those bed slippers! The poem is one of my favourites and I am looking forward to joining the Red Hat Society in about 10 years or so!

~Deborah

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes