Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Monday, November 20, 2006

I've been busy!

So, November 11th was our Church Christmas Fair. I had a booth this year and made GOBS of money! Well, not really gobs, but quite a bit when you consider that most of my stuff retails for less than 10 bucks. I sold a couple of high-ticket items though--Ah WOO!

So in the days leading up to the fair I was making stuff for my booth, and in the days since the fair I've been posting the leftovers on etsy.com and starting my Christmas knitting.

So here are two of Zib's boxes, Very Special Things. I've made them before, and here are two that are destined to be gifts. I'm not sure for whom yet. The closer one has a beaded fringe, and those are buttons on the far one. I've also become obsessed with knitting covers for votive candles. As it was pointed out to me, "why would a candle need a cozy?" Well, it just does. And I think they're pretty cute. I may have to stick a candle in one and check the actual fire hazard involved in these. Could be high, could be low. Hard to tell, really.

And my final picture is of my rosemary-green mittens. They're for sale on etsy too, so go on over and get that Christmas shopping started. If you want to take the tag off and say you made it, I won't mind.

Didja catch the keyboard in the pictures?

That's a nice loaner from Choir Director Jeanne. I told her I have to practice with an online keyboard and she told me she has two extras kicking around, did I want to borrow one.

Hell, yeah.

I'm going to have to sign the girls up for piano lessons to keep their grubby little paws off it.

So, Christmas is fast upon us. I feel it in my bones. And according to my book, we have one more Sunday until Advent. I'm cantoring every Sunday of Advent except the second Sunday. And come to think of it, I'm not doing the fourth Sunday either, but that Sunday is also Christmas Eve, and I'm cantoring the Midnight Mass, but that counts and Christmas day and not the fourth Sunday of Advent. I know it's confusing, but it doesn't happen often, so just go with the flow.

I can't say that there's much else going on these days. Thanksgiving is Thursday, so I'm sure I'll have some hot family gossip on Friday to report. There's always drama when the Jacobs get together. *sigh*

Did I mention Buggy got a great report at our parent/teacher conference. Basically, she's right where she should be at her age. Except in reading.

They tested her, just for fun mind you, and in vocabulary she knew 100% of the 1st grade words, 100% of the second grade words, 100% of the third grade words, and 98% of the fourth grade words. That's akin to reading at a high fourth-grade level. She's a first-grader, folks. We are working with her on her reading comprehension, and her spelling. The teacher said they haven't even started working on spelling yet, but if we wanted to go ahead with Bug we should. They don't routinely test spelling until later in the year, but they thought they'd test her before report cards, just for fun mind you, to see where she is.

She's my little reader. Of course now I have to be careful with what I type, and we can no longer spell things we don't want her to overhear. She's entirely too smart for her own good.

Just like Mama!

3 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Awesome job on the boxes and cozys! Glad it went well at this fair!

Go you for cantoring at Mass, I'm such a chicken, I don't even think I could do a reading in front of everyone! Happy Thanksgiving! Zknitter

6:56 PM  
Blogger Triona said...

That's so great about your daughter! I think it's vitally important for a child to be able to read well, and I also think reading ability has a lot to do with the way the child is raised. So great job!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

I love the votive cozys!! They're super-duper. :)

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes