Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Some Days You're the Windshield

And some days, you're the bug. I should have taken pictures of this, and now I'm sorry I didn't.

Because it's -2F, my dad, who lives next door, has been letting me take his truck to drop Buggy off at school while he hangs out with Bobo. I wouldn't mind walking to the bus stop with just Bug, or standing in the cold with her, but Bo is just too little and I worry about frostbite. Besides, she gets to hang out with Grandpa and eat Oreos at 8:30 in the morning. Life's little pleasures.

Dad lives upstairs in a 2-family home with Sister and Baboo downstairs. They share an enormous driveway with the church rectory. So I get back from school and as I'm pulling in the drive I notice a car stuck on the side of the street behind the mailboxes and the telephone pole. I'm wondering to myself how a car even got there, when I saw the tire tracks on the side of the driveway. The "older gentleman" driving said that he slid on the ice and wound up there.

So I park the car and go up to Dad's who is just incredulous at the stupidity of it all. According to Dad the Eyewitness, the guy didn't slide at all. He was backing down the driveway and thought he was at the bottom, so he cut his wheels to back onto High Street. Only he wasn't there yet, and wound up backing onto the snow-covered lawn and wound up behind the mailboxes and telephone pole. Dad's opinion was that anyone stupid enough not to look behind them while backing up deserved to sit there in the snow until spring, but he put his coat on anyway and went out to try to help, despite himself. He's a good man at heart, that one. Of course, I couldn't figure out why the guy backed down the driveway in the first place. I mean, we're talking about a huge driveway and there wasn't a car in it while I was gone. He could have pulled in and made a big circle before driving out the right way, for God's sake. Suffice it to say he had plenty of room to back up in the driveway. Some people shouldn't drive. Ugh.

Long story short, the tow truck had to be called. Rusty's came and got them out, but not before knocking over the neighbor's mailbox. Dad's out there right now trying to fix it for her. 'Cause you know no one's digging a hole out there for quite awhile.

I checked my mail while I was out there and my yarn still isn't in yet, but at least I know it's on its way. Apparently my order and some others got left behind in Uruguay or something and they'll send it as soon as it gets here. I hope I get it before winter is over.

And I found out last night that one of our choir members has Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stage 1. She's only 20 and has a 1 year old. I hope she beats it.

And another friend from choir has been in the hospital for 7 weeks and I still haven't been up to see her. I feel so badly about it that two days ago I popped up to Joanns, grabbed a couple balls of soft acrylic and made her a shoulder shawl. I'm going to bring it up either today or tomorrow. I also record our practices on my digital voice recorder to practice during the week, so I may bring it along so she can hear some of our singing. Not the best quality, but it's the thought that counts.


Anyway, the shawl is Lion Brand Jiffy, 100% acrylic. I know, I'm a yarn snob and I generally shun the use of acrylics. But I wanted something easy to care for, and this can go right in the washer and dryer and it feels even better after washing. The color is a dark red, the color of good red wine and his has a halo--kind of a mohair-y feel to it. The pattern is Lion Brand as well and is free on their website, Easy Triangle Shawl. And it was easy. But if you make it, bear in mind that the Jiffy isn't as bulky as the Homespun it calls for and your shawl will not be as wide or long. Which is perfect because something as bulky as the original would be too much for what I needed. Also know that you will need a 36" circular needle to handle all the stitches, even though it just calls for size 13 needles on the pattern. Trust me, use the circs.

Oh, and the best part of the shawl? Two balls of Jiffy: $5.00! What a bargain!

3 Comments:

Blogger Batty said...

That's very sweet of you, I'm sure the shawl will be appreciated. It's like a big yarny hug. One of the deacons at our old church (before we moved) calls it vitamin H. She gives the best hugs ever.

11:25 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very nice shawl. i'm sure your friend will love it.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

That shawl looks great! She'll love it. I hope she beats it too. What an awful thing to happen to anybody young or old.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes