Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

How Many Royals is Too Many?

Good question Jo. She wants to know, "Why does the British line of succession have a gazillion people on it? Don't you think that 10... or 20... or even 30 people would be quite enough?"

To answer the second half of that question first, yes Jo, I personally think about 5 would be quite enough. And honestly, everyone after the first three is kind of an academic exercise, really. Let's face it: the bloke at 100 isn't holding his breath that some kind of massive cosmic accident is going to seat him at the helm of Britannia.

But why so many in the line? I'm thinking it's because that's what happens when you set a rule for something. For instance, when they decided who could and couldn't inherit the throne, who gets it first and who gets it next, people just sort of fell into place.

The rule governing the Line of Succession is called the Act of Settlement, and it dates back to 1701. Only marriage-born Protestant descendants of Princess Sophia, the granddaughter of James I, are eligible. Roman Catholics need not apply, so that lets me right out. And anyone in line who marries an RC is out too, though if their children are raised Protestant the kids stay in the line. Kooky. And thus the odds that Prince William will choose me as his queen have rocketed past slim and settled firmly on none. Ah well, I will have to be content to rule my own kingdom right here.

So I think there's so many just because you can take a British person, check out their parentage, and see if they fit into the rules. If they do, they get a spot in the line. If not, then no. And that's how you get hundreds of people from all over Europe (there's a big smattering of Norwegian royals in line for the throne, you know) waiting for their room at Buckingham Palace to open up.

But yeah, after Wee Harry, you're just making lists.

Thanks for the question, Jo! I'll be contacting you with your Major Award!

In other news, Bobo is feeling better. Thanks all for your kind wishes and prayers. I appreciate it so much. She's still feverish today, but holding down her gingerale and crackers, so I think she'll pull through. I wish she'd drink more, but I'm sure in her own good time, as with most things with her.

And today I have got to get those bags listed! So much nice feedback there too! Here's hoping they sell!

And so that I can end any confusion... TODAY is my birthday! I'm 38. When did I get this old? Oof.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bezzie said...

Happy Birthday! Now I'll never have to wonder about the British Royal Family again.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

And a very Happy Birthday to you! We just finished eating ice cream cake at work for two co-workers' birthdays.

Thanks for answering my question!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Cindy in (un) Happy Valley said...

Thirty eight! You're still a babe...trust me (been there and long gone).

And stuff yourself silly with really rich, high carb cake!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Fiber-4-U said...

My family is from Kent, and my Great Grandfather was the second son of an Earl and distant cousins of the Royal family, desending from one of the Son's of King George, who's one Son, Duke of Kent was father to Queen Victoria's mother.


So if a commet fell on London and the Queen was having a party and 434 of her closest family members were there, I would be the next queen.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Fiber-4-U said...

I dunno...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18102102/

Did you have anything to do with that ?!

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes