Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Please Note Today's Date Before Reading

Yep. It's Friday the Thirteenth.

I'm going to start with today's question before launching into the Saga of My Day Thus Far. It's a good read. You're going to want to keep up.

First, let me just say how strange it is what questions I pull out my big mixing bowl. I promise you that they are selected completely at random, yet they always seem somehow topical.

SarahJanet wants to know, "What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?"

What is the answer to life? Well, life doesn't have an answer because it's not a question. Life is a highway, and I'm gonna ride it all night long. That's life, that's what they say. You're riding high in April, shot down in May. C'est la vie. And the meaning of life? I refer you to the Monty Python film of the same name. I mean, if that doesn't explain it all to you, I don't know what will.

What is the answer to the universe? Again, the universe is a glorious puzzle without a solution. Some riddles just don't have answers, you know? And sometimes they have a lot of different answers. I'm thinking the universe is one of those riddles with a lot of different answers, and they're all right. Or all wrong, but I suppose that depends if you're a glass half empty kind of a person.

And what is the answer to everything? Being nice to other people is the answer. The rest is just commentary.

Now, let me tell you about my craptastic morning so far. At this moment, I think the answer to everything is having a close call that makes you grateful for all you've been given.

Even if what you've been given is 5 more inches of snow in the middle of April.

Today, I had to take Emma Bo up to the ER. See, we were up visiting with my Dad. He lives on the second floor of my sister's big house next door. Bobo visited with Grammy Bonnie while Grandpa snowblowed the yard (see above), and I took Bug to school in Grandpa's truck.

I got home and bundled Bo back up, and as we were preparing to leave, we heard Gramps put the snowblower back in the barn. Usually we don't take the back stairs down through the barn, and choose instead the inside stairs that lead to the front porch. But we went out to see Gramps.

He met us halfway up the stairs. The stairs he built to replace the old ones that he deemed not safe. Only these still have only a temporary railing since it's too cold to work out in the barn still. He's going to make a regular one when it warms up. Hell, if it warms up at this point.

Anyway, Dad comes up, and I say a few words with him, when out of nowhere, Em reaches for the railing. She never does. I go down with her, holding her hand and walking between her and the railing. But, 3 year olds are wily, and she launched off on her own. Only she stumbled on the top step, and fell under the railing all the way down to the barn floor below, landing on the bottom step.

I swear my heart stopped. It's about a ten foot drop. Imagine going off a second story landing. Now imagine watching your baby do it and it's like you're both going in slow motion and you just can't get a hand on her. And it's not like she fell down a flight of stairs, and bounced and rolled from stair to stair. She went from top stair to floor. Boom.

We took her bleeding and screaming to the ER. They gave her a CT scan and some codeine, and the good news is that nothing is broken. She seems to have broken the fall with her face, however, and has a very bruised and swollen nose and upper lip. She is very, very cranky now, but she's had some more medicine and is taking what I hope will be a good, long nap.

Of course Dad's blaming himself for not putting in a proper bannister, I'm blaming myself for not keeping one hand on her at all times (since I know there isn't a proper bannister), and both of us think we should have been able to catch her before she fell, but we just couldn't.

I am immensely grateful that our local hospital is well-staffed with some of the nicest people God ever put on the planet. They kept us at ease and treated her swiftly and as gently as possible. And also that she didn't break her neck in the fall.

The ER doc said we were lucky it wasn't one of us. Three year olds bones are really flexible since they do so much growing, and thus the bruises. She said had one of us grownups fallen the same way there would have been much breakage, and we'd probably be having reconstructive facial surgery today.

I really could have gone without that today, you know?

16 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa said...

OMG Thank goodness she is okay!! I am so sorry you are having such a rough day!! Poor little thing, I hope she heals super fast!!

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry that you and your baby had to go through this.

I'm sending healing virtual hugs your way!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh dear lord! Poor Bobo! First being sick and now this! What a week!!!!!! I guess I'm "glad" (as stupid as that sounds) that she had such a flexible face. Crap. I hate mom moments like that. You probaby have a nice new patch of gray hairs don't you?

3:56 PM  
Blogger April said...

I hope she feels better! Poor thing! Don't be too hard on yourself.. these things happen. When I was young I cut my hand very very badly, and my fingers could have been paralyzed. I think just about everyone has a story like that.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Oh, poor baby! I can't imagine how horrible that must have been for you. Thank goodness she's ok!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh honey! Let me reassure you that kids heal FAST. When I was her age I took a nasty fall and fractured my skull on a cement floor. I cried for a couple hours and then was happy as can be again. It healed really well, and I don't even remember it happening. I'm sending big hugs to both of you, though!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oh! I am so glad she's ok!! So glad you have a great hospital that takes care of you too! Poor baby. Hope you are ok too, I can't imagine what it must have been like seeing that! ((hugs))

5:33 PM  
Blogger Mag said...

Just so scary. I hope she recovers soon. Thank goodness for that cute little face, it saved her rear! I guess you need a drink now, huh?

5:55 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Uuuugggggghhhhhhh.... those are just the worst situations. I hate, hate, HATE when my babies get hurt - especially when it seems like it would have been avoidable. Even when it wouldn't actually have been avoidable. Ugh.

I'm so glad she bounced instead of breaking. Here's to a very quiet weekend, and please treat yourself to whatever indulgence works to make you feel better tonight...

7:31 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I think of all the falls I've watched my boys take and I know that feeling of seeing it in slowmotion while it's happening, and you still can't stop it, though you think after you should have been able to. It's awful. And none of my boys' falls were ever that bad.

My prayers are with you both! Deep breath. Everything will be ok. Really.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Carina said...

O.M.G. I stopped breathing when I read that. Poor little Bobo! Poor Mama! Poor Grandpa! How unbeliveably scary!! I'll do an extra prayer for all of you tonight.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sweet baby! How terrifying! It makes my heart ache even thinking about it. I send hugs to you both!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Meghann said...

Oh, mama! I can't even imagine how you much have felt.....that's one of those moments when you stop breathing. Poor baby! I hope that you and her are feeling better!!!

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Bobo is doing better today! Hugs to you both!

your SP

8:26 PM  
Blogger Pinkwool said...

Oh cripes!! Poor little Bobo!! Try not to balmes yourself, accidents happen. Hugs. I hope Bobo is feeling better and her swelling subsides soon.

11:33 AM  
Blogger maryannlucy said...

How scary! What a sad picture, glad to hear that you have such a good hospital.....Hope she is feeling brighter soon and that you feel better too (((hugs)))

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes