Ask Poops, Please

Putting my two cents in.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Belmont, New Hampshire, United States

Born and bred in a small New England town, I am convinced that I know something about everything, and that my opinion matters. If only to me. Well, you'll see what I mean. And I love to knit, so you'll see what kind of things I'm doing when I should be vacuuming the living room.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I Told You I'd Be Back!

And I brought more pictures! I told you I would!
First up, the Strawberry Tea Cosy from Magknits. Cute, fast. I think this one is destined for my tea-drinking SP, but I'm not sure.
Yes, I can forsee a line of themed cozies in my future. I like that the handle and spout are left open. I'm not enamored of a cozy that you have to remove to pour your tea. But it means that most of it is worked flat to above the handle, then in the round until the end, with a wee bit o' seaming at the very bottom. And you know how I feel about working flat and then seaming. Gack.
Second up is a pair of small felted bags. Each one is about 4.5 inches square.

They're meant to be worn over the shoulder and hang at the waist. I might re-twist the cord on the navy and green one. I did get a superior result with the wheel on the purple and brown one.

I knit up the skein of Noro into a bag yesterday and it is super cute! I'm going to line it and stiffen the sides to make a more structured bag, and probably put store-bought handles on it in the end. I've decided to hold off showing that one until it's done. Only because it's going to be way cute, just you wait and see.

The rest of my life is all about the reunion. I'm having a blast getting together with my friends. We're going to have to find excuses to get together after this is all over.

Today I'm posting early because I'm off to a funeral. One of my mother's friends passed away last week from pancreatic cancer. Not including the dog, this brings the death tally of my personal friends and family from pancreatic cancer to three. Patty was only 55 and she fought it with all she had.

To that end, I think I will make a donation to the Lustgarden Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer research this year instead of my usual donation to the Breast Cancer folks. The boobies get all kinds of attention. The pancreas...not so much, and it's by far a WAY deadlier cancer. It's one of those cancers that by the time you feel ill and they tell you it's cancer, it's pretty much too late to do anything for you. And no one's wearing pretty ribbons or knitting fancy socks or making fuzzy scarves to support it. Could be it's why it kills so many people. The pancreas just doesn't have the oomph of the boobies.

Or the cervix. Do follow the sidebar link to Bezzie's KAYE doings on her blog. Her mission to get us out there and having our pap smears may have saved her own mother's life. Perhaps I'll have a Save the Pancreas Awareness Campaign. (Though with a nickname like "poops", perhaps colo-rectal cancer should be my cause. Brown ribbons for everyone! Seriously...they get brown ribbons. How fucked up is that? Bad enough you have pooper cancer, but you get a brown ribbon to advertise it? It's just wrong. Bladder cancer is yellow. But at least you can say you're supporting the troops...)

FUCK CANCER.

There, I've said it.

I'm going to spin awhile before we have to go to the church. Nothing like creating to take the sting out of death.

5 Comments:

Blogger DancesInGarden said...

I am so sorry about the losses, Poops.

About the teapot cozy. What if you knitted in the round until you got to where a hole was needed. Then bind off however many stitches and go around until you reach your BO's. Then turn the knitting and purl back until you reach the BO's on the other side. Turn and knit back. Keep doing this until you have a hole the size you want ending on a turn where you knit.

Cast on the same number of stitches across the gap, then keep going in the round.

This would work as long as there is only one hole going at a time and it would be a pain to do the purl backs and "math" if there is colour work LOL.

Note that I am not testing this out, because I am too lazy ;).

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry about your losses too. I agree - FUCK CANCER. I've seen it take too many lives. My love goes out to everyone dealing with this terrible illness.

I am looking forward to seeing that bag!! I bet it is very cute!

-Secret Pal, Mandy

1:57 PM  
Blogger Bezzie said...

Man, I think it's kind of cool that colon cancer gets brown ribbons.

But seriously, what's up with all the pancreatic cancer? Were these three people all living in the same town? And the dog died of it too? I get the feeling Poopsville isn't too big. My Bezzie sense is tingling. You guys aren't on a giant uranium mine that's poisoning the water are you? Gah, it's times like these I wish I WAS a scientist, not just married to one.

Maybe that was flippant, but my sympathies to your friend's family. 55 is too young.

P.S. Cool felted bags!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

I will help brainstorm clever cozies with you! Not that I can actually make any of them, but whatever.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Its never an easy thing losing someone.
And you are right about the pancreatic cancer. My husbands grandma had it and by the time they found out, they gave her 3 weeks. I had no idea. Not that any cancer is easy, but that particular kind is especially nasty.
Sigh.
I wish I could hug you. But then again, we have never formally met, and that might creep you out more than it would offer you comfort. So perhaps Its best that I refrain from hugging.
Sigh again.
I like your tea cosy.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Recipes